17 Jul 2008

A não partida nem quebrada > The non-departure and no break





> This was a site-specific performance at Rio's International Airport. Where I interviewed passengers boarding on the 0246 British Airways flight to London on the flight I was supposed to be taking back myself. Having decided to stay in Rio and not being able to change the date of my flight I went to the airport, with only a laptop case filled with 36 eggs. I approached the passengers at check-in, whilst the passengers waited for their turn for a check-in desk to become available, I asked each passener to give me a word, a word to describe a reason to stay in Brazil. I briefly described I had decided to stay in Rio to continue developing the concept of GEMA and that their participation was part of making a little history of a day's travel.

The result of this performance was the collection of 36 words.
In return for participating, the passengers were given a copy of a limited edition print of this site's page 1, dated 16/07/08, which I asked to take back with them to London. If they were to throw it away I asked them at least to do it once they arrived in the UK.

The day was recorded in video by Finnish Artist Sirkku Maenpaa. And the event marked the beginning of GEMA's activity in Rio de Janeiro and my commitment to staying in Rio de Janeiro instead of going back to London for the time being.

Este trabalho consiste de um registro. Passageiros embarcando para Londres no voo 0246 da British Airways dia 16/07/08 foram abordados durante check-in para participar nesta pequena história pessoal. Eu perguntei para os passageiros se ele podiam me dar uma palavra, uma palavra que eles consideravam descrever uma razão para permanecer no Brasil. 36 passageiros participaram, portanto colecionei 36 palavras.

As entrevistas foram registradas em video por
Sirkku Maenpaa, artista finlandesa. Por terem participado, os 36 colaboradores receberam 1 impressão de 36 edições limitadas deste blog page 1, data 16/07/08, para levar de volta com eles para a Inglaterra. Por meio da Internet podem manter informados sobre os projetos GEMA acontecendo no Brazil.

No comments: